This resource is a tool to implement a four-week small group experience (separate groups for seniors and parents) preparing seniors and their families to transition well into the next phase of life in college, trade school, or a gap-year.
The resource is small group discussion-based and can be used as a four-week stand-alone event or during regular small group time. Through parent and student components, challenge seniors in the four greatest areas of biggest transitions: social, communal spiritual, personal spiritual, and school & schedule.
Week 1 - Social Transitions: choosing the right friends, how to make friends, grieving old friends, the temptation to go home. Ecclesiastes 3:1-15, Proverbs 13:20, Proverbs 27:12
Week 2 - Communal Spiritual Transitions: accountability, serving, plugging in quickly, what to look for in a Christian community. Philippians 1:6, 1:21, 1 Corinthians 12
Week 3 - School & Schedule Transitions: prep for work/life balance rhythms, calling in career, avoiding apathy and over programming. John 10:3, Galatians 5:13, 2 Timothy 1:9, 2 Peter 1:3, 1 Thessalonians 2:12, Ephesians 4:1
Week 4 - Personal Spiritual Transitions: the key role of repentance, owning their faith, “feeding themselves,” doubts, personal time with God. Colossians 1:28, Matthew 5:48, 2 Chronicles 7:14, Isaiah 30:15, Isaiah 44:22, Proverbs 28:13, Matthew 3:8, Mark 1:15, Luke 13:3, Acts 2:36-38, 2 Corinthians 7:9-10, James 4:8-10, 2 Peter 3:9, 1 John 1:9, Revelation 2:5
To preview a sample of this content, click here!
This Resource Includes:
- Overview document (Word file)
- Sample Parent Email (Word file)
- Student small group discussion guides (for leaders) for each week (Word files)
- Parent small group discussion guide (for leaders) for each week (Word files)
- Student handout for each week (Word files)
- Parent prayer guide handout for each week (Word files)
- Parent & student at-home discussion guide (Word file)
- Graphics: title, blank, Story, square (jpeg files)